Intelligame Podcast 001: Game Development Catharsis w/ Carol Mertz
Welcome to the first episode of the Intelligame Podcast! On this episode of the podcast I talked with Carol Mertz about her history in game design, and some of the ways she’s used game design as catharsis. This has been a long time coming, but I’m really excited to get it started. The Good Ship IGPC’s sailing on her maiden voyage, and this leg of the journey’s been crystal blue waters. Or a red sky at night…sailor’s delight…or something. More boat references.
On this episode of the podcast I talked with Carol Mertz about ways she’s used game design as catharsis. She’s worked on a number of projects with multiple indie developers including the studio she co-founded, Rampant Interactive, and Butterscotch Shenanigans. Carol also launched her own solo studio, Insatiable Cycle, as an outlet for more personal projects. Her personal projects, whether they’re light-hearted or dark, always give me room for pause and reflection.
I also take some time on the show to give an Editor’s Cut of The Last Bastion. Reading the piece aloud gave me a chance to add some additional info I hope you’ll appreciate. I also recommended the first Intelligame of the Week: Life is Strange! It’s one of my favorite narrative adventures, and likely would have been my 2015 Game of the Year if I’d undertaken such a task.
Anyway, enjoy the show! Send any feedback you have to email@example.com; I’m happy to hear it.
Next week’s episode will post Sunday, September 4th, at 12:00pm EST. I’ll be looking to add this to iTunes and other subscription platforms after PAX West, so keep an eye out!
- Carol’s Homepage, CarolMertz.com
- Pass the Buck: A Game of Corporate Responsibility Management
- I Want You, and other Insatiable Cycle works
- Carol’s Intelligame: Gone Home by The Fullbright Company
- Intelligame of the Week: Life is Strange
Other References this Week:
- Edge of Sports with Dave Zirin by Dave Zirin
- Overwatch by Blizzard Entertainment
- Crashlands by Butterscotch Shenanigans
Why is "The Last Bastion" Stuck in Eternal Deathmatches?
The People of PAX West Make the Games Even Better
Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Intelligame. Lover of story-centric games of all kinds, arcade games, and mobile titles. Mac and Cheese connoisseur.
Get Intelligame in Your Inbox!
- The Choice Quantic Dream Did NOT Pick in Detroit: Become Human
- How PAX East 2018 Got Inclusion Right
- I’m excited for Monster Hunter World because my friends are. That’s okay.
- Editor’s Note: On Patreon’s Changes and Intelligame’s Resources
- Helping people “see each other in new ways:” Ami Baio’s “You Think You Know Me”
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- April 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015